Ever wonder about the history of Fort Sint Pieter? Or perhaps the history of the Vrijthof square? This week we’re joined by special guest Joes Minis to answer some FAQs about Maastricht! This is only part one, check out part two here!
The first photograph above (top left) shows the Cellebroederskapel after 20th century restorations, photograph taken in 1966 ( (c) RHCL). The second photograph (top centre) shows buildings on the Terra Cottalaan in Pottenberg in 1966 ( (c) RHCL). The third photo (top right) also shows Pottenberg but from the air in c. 1980 – 1985 with the Keramieksingel in the foreground and Opalinestraat on the right ( (c) RHCL).
The final photograph (bottom) shows the Tongerseweg cemetery ( (c) begraafplaatstongerseweg.nl).
The first image above (top left) shows the Kasteel Borgharen in 1927, built in 1318 ( (c) RHCL). The second photograph (top right) shows members of the local foundations working on the restoration of the castle ( (c) www.kasteelborgharen.nl). The third photograph (bottom) shows the front of the castle as it stands today ( (c) www.kasteelborgharen.nl). Fore more information about current restoration efforts and crowdfunding for Kasteel Borgharen, check out their website here!
The third image (bottom left) shows an aerial photograph of the nearby ENCI complex, also showing theh the plateau and Kanne in 1974 ( (c) RHCL). The final photograph (bottom right) shows the terrace of the fort in 1938, where people are dancing to the music of the ‘Hot Players’ ( (c) RHCL).
The first photograph (top left) shows one of the tunnels in Fort Sint Pieter in 1938 ( (c) RHCL). The second image (top right) shows drawings mapping the tunnel system in Sint Pieter and surrounds (1980, (c) RHCL).
The third image (bottom left) shows the way paintings like Rembrandt’s The Night Watch were rolled and stored for safety in the vaults beneath of Sint Pietersberg ( (c) natuurmonumenten.nl/). The fourth image (bottom right) shows a charcoal recreation of the Night Watch by Jules Sondeijker, created in the early 20th century and restored in the 21st century ( (c) Maastricht Underground via Holland.com).
The first image above (top left) is a drawn map of the Vrijthof and surrounds in c. 1550 ( (c) RHCL). The second image (top right) is a drawing of the east side of the Vrijthof created in 1671 ( (c) RHCL). The final image (bottom) shows an illustration of the walled Vrijthof ( (c) RHCL).
Above are photographs of the Mooswief in her different forms. The first photograph (top left) shows the large effigy of the Mooswief hoisted high above the Vrijthof during Carnaval ( (c) forum.mestreechonline.nl). The second image (top right) shows the statue of the Mooswief on the Markt with a Carnaval Prince ( (c) forum.mestreechonline.nl).
The third image is the large Mooswief on the Vrijthof, this time surrounded by many Carnaval goers ( (c) Laurens Bouvrie via www.thuisinmaastricht.nl).
The first image (top) above shows Carnaval attendees enjoying the celebrations in 2018 ( (c) nos.nl). The bottom image shows the small but iconic Momus cannon which begins the celebrations every year ( (c) Laurens Bouvrie via www.thuisinmaastricht.nl).
As always, if you have something you have always wanted to know about Maastricht or wanted to ask a local, please contact us through social media or our website and we will do our best to answer your questions in future episodes!